Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Meeting an Iraqi in Hyatt Hotel’s Elevator in Tehran after the War

He got in on the 20th floor. Handsome.
“An Iranian?
A foreigner?”
I asked myself.
He looked both familiar and strange.
His beard was familiar
But the look in his brown eyes…
“Where are you from?” I dared.

“Iraq”

I startled. Leaned against the corner.
The last country on the planet
That I expected, though a neighbor.
“What are you doing here?”

“Playing Volleyball.”

“Playing Volleyball!” I yelled loud.
“You killed my uncle,
Made my pregnant aunt widowed
My cousin Mohammad orphaned before he was born.
And my friend Fatima was only twelve
When you killed her father
She- she fainted over her father’s coffin.
You killed millions of young men
Sons, brothers, fathers, uncles
Destroyed people’s houses and cities
Bombed our schools, and hospitals
To come here to play Volleyball?!”
I ringed my hands round his neck
“You are dead man!
You’d better not come!
You are soooo dead!”

The elevator stopped on the ground floor.
“Welcome to Iran”
I heard my soft voice though could not smile.
And he stretched out his arm towards the door,
“After you, lady”
And I stepped out.
A breath in peace.

The next day I heard
Iran-Iraq Volleyball game result
Was equal, too.

1 comment:

  1. this is one of the most powerful and bittersweet poems you have ever published. the emotion is raw.,,,primal

    it should be a signature piece when you read in public.

    ReplyDelete