Sunday, July 3, 2011

Raqs Sharqi (Belly Dance)

The Oud’s played,
I unveil 
A cascade of black hair
Down to my curves.
For your pleasure
I’m half covered
In lace, half displayed.

               “Ahlan wa sahlan!”
               “Ma sha Allah!”

Here I come
With camel walks
Through the dining tables
And vulture eyes--
My snake arms,
Round your old necks
Cast the shawl--
Shimmy, shimmy:
Shoulders and hips,
Waving my belly …
                 “Ya habibi ! ”

As long as I have
My youth, my charm,
I’ll have your cheers and money
In my bra or hip scarf.
As soon as I’m old
I’ll be replaced with a blond.
When I die
You will say
I went to hell
With my Haram art.

You are all the same
Amir Al Bahar
Sheikh Abdol the Third.
I’m a belly; soft dumb belly,
A belly dancer.

1 comment:

  1. this juxtaposes incredible sensuality and age both young and old in such incredible detail.

    ReplyDelete