Friday, April 20, 2012

Common Language

Lines composed after recent
 explosions in Baghdad.
You don’t know me
You don’t look like me
Dressed in black
Or, I don’t look like you
No, not any more
I don’t even understand
Your language
But I pick up a word
“Enfejar” : explosion
Sounds so familiar
Even your screams
Like my aunt’s
When she had lost
Her young husband
--In our Holy Defense
Your Holy War--
A few months after marriage
Pregnant with their first child.
My cousin is a young man now
Young, like the sons you lost.

You don’t know me
You don’t see me
But I see you, so close
That I would have
          Hugged you
            And patted you
              And wept with you
If you were not on TV
Or I was in Bagdad

I don’t know you
I don’t know Arabic
I speak Persian
But I understand you
Your screams
            Your tears
                      Your eyes.
Agony
Speaks in a common language
We learned through war.


No comments:

Post a Comment