Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Sedan

 
Is there anything more important
Than the pronunciation of a word
That when goes wrong
Draws a boundary as long
As the equinox
Between us?
 
The us
That I am not sure belongs to which we
The we of you and I
That sit a chair apart
With the smell of chalk and wood among
Or the we of they and I
Oceans and lands apart
With the smell of demon and blood?
 
How profligate for you
To use the f word
How prolific for me
Like the moon fruit
When it makes me write
I appreciate you
How far-off I feel
From the concept of home
In a room I have spent
Half of my life
Like a diva in her own cave
 
Could there be a line
We could all wipe
And feel like porcupines
That got hair cut?
Could there be a word
We spelt with L in the start
Before we stepped
Into a paragraph and got lost
In an argumentative essay
Of constant comparison and contrast
Could we both win?
 
You hear me
With your ears filled with wax
And your hands tied to the mast
And float away
Each semester
Leaving me behind
For another section
Of Writing for Engineers
Listen to me deep
You will not get shipwrecked
I am no Siren.
Mark my words
And mind not my accent
But the voice that is rooted
In a word that begins with L
And cares that you learn
So remember
The stress is on the second syllable
When you say Sedan
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment